Monday, March 25, 2013

What is your plan?


I am a huge advocate for continuing education.  I feel you can always learn more about the job you are doing, no matter how long you have done it.  I still learn things from customers, and I love to see the ingenuity that comes out of equipment manager’s shops. 

Unfortunately I don’t see many technicians with a formal learning plan.  When I hire a technician in my shop I set them up on a plan with specific goals.  I want them to strengthen their technical skills, and feel good about what they are doing. 

One big opportunity for technicians in our field is the certificate program with the International Golf Course Equipment Managers Association.  IGCEMA has a wonderful program that covers 6 specific areas.  They have study materials and opportunities for online testing that make it easy to learn.

Hydraulic Troubleshooting
Electrical Troubleshooting
Internal Combustion Engines
Drivelines
Sprayer Troubleshooting
Cutting Units

I highly recommend this program to anyone working on turf equipment.  Set up a timeline to complete the 6 tests to help push you when other things may get in the way.   I am confident enough in this testing process that I require my technicians to complete these same tests.

Of course there are other options as well.  I know Toro (as well as other manufactures) puts on service classes to help train technicians, and there are also opportunities at many of your local distributors.  I put on classes in both ND and MN this past year for our customers at MTI.  Other options may be your local technical college.  Is there a welding or engine class you could learn from?

Whatever you choose, I suggest you make a thoughtful plan and write it down.  Put a realistic timeline to it and push yourself to complete it.  If you want help putting together a plan like this reach out to me via email – jim.king@mtidistributing.com or Twitter - @TOROKING  and I will be happy to help you reach your goals.  My true goal for this blog is to help others who want to learn and better themselves.

Plan your work, and work your plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment